Listen Live

BCP fireworks cancelled over fire risk

BCP Council has cancelled this week’s Bournemouth and Poole fireworks after a government wildfire alert and continuing hot, dry weather raised safety concerns across the area. Firework displays in Bournemouth and Poole have been cancelled for this week because of the raised wildfire risk. BCP Council said the decision follows a government emergency alert last week which warned people not to light barbecues, bonfires, fire pits or other items that could start a wildfire. Councillor Andy Martin said hot, dry weather and a regional hosepipe ban meant displays at Poole Quay and Bournemouth beac

Firework displays in Bournemouth and Poole have been cancelled for this week because of the raised wildfire risk.

BCP Council said the decision follows a government emergency alert last week which warned people not to light barbecues, bonfires, fire pits or other items that could start a wildfire.

Councillor Andy Martin said hot, dry weather and a regional hosepipe ban meant displays at Poole Quay and Bournemouth beach could not go ahead, adding that “one stray spark” could cause a fire.

He said the council knows the news will disappoint some people, but believes residents understand the decision and the need to keep emergency services available during the current conditions locally.

The Bournemouth events are currently due to continue until Friday, August 28, while the Poole displays are scheduled to run until Thursday, August 27. We've double checked with BCP Council to see if a decision on these events has been made and will update shortly.


Recently Played

App Downloads