Please check any doorbells or dashcams for footage
There have been multiple vehicle fires in the wider Wimborne area along with a property fire overnight.
Emergency services have been out dealing with the incidents and are now appealing for witnesses or dashcam / doorbell footage.
The fire service report its Service Control Centre received approximately 65 '999' calls about vehicle fires in the Wimborne and Poole areas between 11.30pm and 2.30am last night.
Meanwhile Dorset Police says between approximately 1am and 3am, multiple car fires in the Broadstone, Wimborne and Merley areas were reported to them.
The locations with reported incidents were Wentworth Drive, Oakley Hill, Oakley Road, Merley Ways, Stour Walk, New Borough Road, Grove Road and Leigh Road.
- A crew from Poole attended a fire involving a single vehicle on Wentworth Drive, Poole at 11.35pm.
- A crew from Poole and two from Wimborne attended a fire involving two vehicles on Oakley Hill, Poole, at 1.08am. A second call was received at 1.15am about another vehicle alight in the same area.
- At 1.20am, a crew from Redhill Park were called to New Borough Road, Wimborne Minster following reports of four vehicles involved in fire.
- A crew from Poole attended a fire on Poole Road, Wimborne Minster involving two vehicles at 1.24am.
- At 1.35am, we received a call about a vehicle fire on Poole Road, Wimborne Minster which had spread to a property. Crews from Ferndown, Westbourne, Wimborne and Poole attended.
- A crew from Wimborne attended a fire involving two vehicles on Merley Ways, Poole at 2.26am.
Multiple car fires in Wimborne near the coach and horses pub and reportedly Merley too. Suspected arson as there's so many. Stay vigilant and report any suspicious activity. @ITVCentral @Bournemouthecho @BBCDorset pic.twitter.com/lHUz0QNJqU— Madame Cerise (@Madame__Cerise) May 15, 2023
Detective Sergeant Simon Austin, of County CID, said: “These incidents have affected a large number of victims in the wider Wimborne area and we are aware that this will cause concern.
“I would like to reassure our local communities that officers are currently investigating all reported incidents and are making every effort to identify those responsible. People will see visible police activity as officers are making house-to-house and CCTV enquiries.
“We are appealing for any witnesses to any of the incidents or anyone who might have seen suspicious activity in the roads mentioned to please come forward.
“Also, I would urge anyone who may have home CCTV installed in those areas and anyone with dashcam to please check their footage to see if there is anything of relevance that could help us.
"Additional neighbourhood officers will be in the area who can be approached for advice and support."
Anyone with information is asked to contact Dorset Police at www.dorset.police.uk or by calling 101, quoting occurrence number 55230073977. Alternatively, independent charity Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously online at Crimestoppers-uk.org or by calling Freephone 0800 555 111.
Got woken up at 1:20am to be told my car has been set on fire! There has been multiple fires in wimborne/merely area early hours of this morning. @Bournemouthecho @ITVCentral @BBCDorset pic.twitter.com/59NHFpyP0d— Chloe Torring (@chloe_torring) May 15, 2023